Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Funny Story, Confusing Weather, and other Things

First off, a link to a FUNNY story, I was literally gaping in disbelief while reading this:

http://www.shtick.org/Misc/ryans.htm

The weather has been extremely confusing lately. So far this month, I have worn shorts 3 times...in January! Something is fundamentally wrong with this concept, the weather should at least have the common courtesy to at least act like it's winter.

So I have finally made the first step toward doing something I've been talking about for about 5 years now...learning to play piano. Christie and I ordered a cheapo yamaha portable keyboard a few days ago, so we will see how this goes. Thanks to Bobbiestan, I have a bit of knowledge about playing after receiving a lesson from him. I've always been able to sit at a piano and play chords and such, just from having played guitar for almost 10 years now, but I can hardly do anything resembing PLAYING the instrument, having no formal training regarding the *physical* aspect of playing the piano (and nobody is interested in hearing me explain why it takes so many fingers to play an Esus2(9)#11 chord). So far, I can play a mean rendition of Mary Had a Little Lamb.

The fat cutting "diet" still goes well, yesterday was the 5 week mark. I never would have imagined it going this well. I'm a bit sore this morning from the new weightlifting workout I did last night. I finally came to the conclusion that the whole split muscle group(s) workout wasn't working for me anymore because: 1) I really don't have the extra time for it and 2) I don't have the resources available to me anymore after moving away from an apartment complex that had a free gym. Now it's just me, my bench, and my trusty set of bowflex dumbbells, so I have restructured my workout to more match my available resources.
I drew up a "test" workout one day early last week, then tweaked it throughout the week, getting it ready for yesterday. My goal was fairly intense full body weight workout, 3 days a week, between 45 and 55 minutes to a workout session. My workout last night came in at around 49 minutes, so I guess I did good for a first stab at it.
Having been doing the split muscle group workout for about 6 months prior to this, last nights workout was VERY intense. It's a different feeling altogether; 3 sets of 12 with moderately heavy weights and about 1 minute of rest between sets on my new workout, as opposed to 5 sets of 8 with very heavy weights and 2 minute rests that I was doing on my old workout). I feel very pumped this morning (a good thing). I will like to see how I feel as I continue to do this workout.

No comments: