Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Dragon*Con

In one word: wow. Describing the entire event in a blog would be impossible because (1) WAY too much happened, (2) there's some of it that I still can't remember, (3) no matter how good I get with the English language, there are still things that I saw/heard/said/did that I couldn't possibly describe. Fortunately enough, I have about 500 pictures that document the weekend much better than I could ever hope to.

In a nutshell (and I mean a really small one) here's a day by day account of the high points:

Thursday - left for Atlanta, got involved in a minor accident. Everything is fine though, it was more or less a fender bender (or more accurately a rear door bender...we were in a rental SUV). Once we got there, the adventure began; finding a parking place in downtown atlanta at 6:00pm is not an easy thing, even if you know the area. Fortunately for us, we found a pay-by-day parking lot...best $64 we spent. After chilling, getting dinner, and registering so we could pick up our badges, we went to a party and drank a drink that is known only as "blue". The word "blue" is of little significance to the drink itself, it could be "green", or "red" or even "chartreuse" and the result would still be the same. After watching a hypnotist do his thing at the party, we left and myself, jeremy, and mike walked...no, stumbled...our way to the vehicle and back. Beyond that, I can only remember bits and pieces...one of which was Jeremy worshipping my solo cup in front of our hotel (did I mention that "blue" was pretty potent?) There was also a band on this night somewhere, but I can't remember if we did that before or after the party with "blue".

Friday - recover from Thursday night. This was also the official Dragon*Con start day. A lot of this day revolved around wandering and shooting pictures of people in interesting costumes. I think we watched an Adult Swim panel with the creators of The Venture Brothers as well, though I can't quite remember because the days blur together so much. At the end of the day we watched a Whose Line Is It Anyway? round (preliminary I think) that was pretty humorous. I really don't remember what we did Friday night.

Saturday - this was probably the most energetic day for all of us. We rested good Friday night, and had a good time on Saturday. Saturday night was the most interesting; after many drinks we found ourselves just wandering around and shooting pictures. Then there was a rave, a band, a dance floor, and more funny social commentary than I can actually remember. I think the phrase for Saturday night was "I guess 'fat' must be the new 'black'..." in honor of those who don't realize that they have too much...surface area...to be wearing what they are wearing. This phrase applied to both men and women alike. Just because you are willing to show your ass and/or breasts doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

Sunday - slept until 12 to recover from the night before. Most of the rest of the day included wandering around through all of the overpriced merchandise in the vendors area and window shopping. Besides watching the Whose Line Is It Anyway? finals, Sunday was rather uneventful.

Monday - came back home. A rather uneventful day as well, to contrast a very eventful weekend.

More details will be added as I can think of them, I promise. :)

No comments: